Sunday, July 02, 2006

Waiting for the Lord

My dear friend Debi, who is pastor of the Cheney (Wash.) United Church of Christ, went to China last month on a sort of mission trip. While there, she sent e-mail reports to her congregation (and me!) about all the things she and her daughter were seeing and doing. One letter included this paragraph:

"I spent my time watching all the cute Chinese children, and saw an 8-month and 20-day-old little girl named JingJing. I thought of Susan waiting for a baby, and thought that it will be worth the wait."

On Friday, the director of our adoption agency's China program updated waiting parents, saying, in part:

"For many of us who wait and try and find answers and rationales for wait times, we busy ourselves with perusing the internet via chat rooms, e-lists and websites. Much of the process is out of control, and so we fill up the days to learn as much as possible and, as a result, feel as if we have some sort of understanding. The process of adoption can make Type A personalities out of control, and yet we have to acknowledge our lack of control. We learn patience, grudgingly."

Don't you think she could have just sent me a private e-mail? She even went on to repeat the Serenity Prayer, for goodness' sake.

Then this morning in church, our pastor preached a sermon whose title I've borrowed for this update. The scripture was from Psalm 130: "I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I hope."

Rev. Babler talked about how in our anxiousness to "get things done," we find it difficult to "wait upon the Lord." He pointed out that Ron Santo keeps commenting, as Cubs batters take their position at home plate, that they look like they're too anxious; they're leaning into the ball instead of waiting for the pitch. They're trying too hard to overcome their reputation of being "lovable losers."

Yesterday, the Cubs had a one-point lead in the ninth inning, with two outs and two strikes, only to have the White Sox's A. J. Pierzynski hit one out of the park -- and score three runs to win the game. So if Dr. Phil were here to ask, "how's that working for ya?" the Cubs would have to respond, "not so good."

Rev. Babler said, "Faith means trust. Trust means waiting -- waiting on a good and merciful Lord."

And:

"God is here. God is ahead. God is at work."

OK, OK. I don't have to be hit over the head any more. I trust the process. I am serene. I am waiting for the Lord to work this precious miracle in our lives.

And, yes, I know it will be well worth the wait

I am so grateful for all of you whose souls are waiting with ours.

Serenely yours,
Susan

P.S. -- Families from our adoption agency are in China now and have received their little blessings! You can see a report from one Mom here.

No comments: