Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Getting all nostalgic

I had lunch today with one of my China travel-mates, and we spent much of our time remembering the excitement we were feeling one year ago as we prepared to leave for China in mere days.

We talked about the entire process -- all the little aggravations in gathering our dossier documents, the frustrations of the lengthening wait, our fears that something would go wrong. We remembered the fortune cookie I opened at that very same restaurant as we waited for our travel approval. We talked about the excitement of those last few weeks and the giddiness of the day we finally were to leave -- going to O'Hare extra early, finding each other near the meeting spot, hardly believing it was finally happening.

We also talked about some of the more painful moments of those first few days of motherhood as we tried to comfort these grieving babies who, in many cases, didn't want anything to do with these strange people.

And guess what -- she's ready to do it all again. And although Lance and I have no plans to add any more to our family, I found myself a little envious -- and very excited for her.

I've spent a lot of time the last few weeks re-reading my blog entries from a year ago and feeling nostalgic for that excitement and joy. It's fun to look back and remember.

But guess what? It's just gotten better and better. And I'm even more excited about what lies ahead.

No comments: